Union Hospital is an award-winning, full-service community hospital located in Elkton, Maryland. Nationally recognized for clinical excellence in the treatment and prevention of disease, our 83 licensed bed, not-for-profit hospital is dedicated to providing superior, personalized, quality health care to our neighbors, families and friends.
Our mission is to enhance the health and well-being of residents in Cecil County and neighboring communities. Our Organizational Values help us in achieving this mission. Our services combine the latest technology with the warm, personal touch you’d expect from a community hospital. You’ll find us in the community as well—offering doctors, imaging, physical therapy and other services to help people stay well. Serving the residents of Cecil County and the neighboring communities in Delaware and southern Pennsylvania for more than 100 years, we’ve made it a priority to remain committed to the high quality of care that we’ve been known for since 1908.
Our growth is one example of how much we continue to respond to the needs of our community. Today, 1000 staff members and 360 physicians offer outpatient, surgical and emergency services, as well as comprehensive health education programs. Our six operating rooms host an average of 20 procedures a day.
Our inpatient tower offers important physical expansions and improvements in patient care. Features include advanced technology and telemetry, electronically controlled window frosting for patient privacy, decentralized nurses’ stations for close patient monitoring, separate bathroom facilities for each patient, and additional space to make families and visitors more comfortable.
Our quality measures have earned us national recognition. Our accolades include these honors:
- The Joint Commission
- Certification of our Cancer Program by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
- Outstanding Achievement Award (OAA) for exceeding national standards in providing quality care to cancer patients from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) has honored Union Hospital with the Pathway to Excellence designation 0 we were the first hospital in Maryland wit this distinction
- Certificate of Recognition for Diabetes Education from the American Diabetes Association
- Quality Respiratory Care Recognition (QRCR) by the American Association for Respiratory Care
- Accreditation with Distinction by the Commission on Laboratory Accreditation of the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Breast Health Center accreditation by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and FDA Accreditation
- Breast Health Center National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons that sets rigorous standards for breast cancer care
- Nuclear Medicine accreditation by the Society of Nuclear Medicine Laboratories (ICANL) Accreditation