Exceptional care for your loved ones … a welcome break for you
Caring for an elderly or disabled loved one takes energy, focus and patience. Spending time away from these duties occasionally is good for your health and helps ensure that you can continue providing care.
Adult Day Services at Union Hospital offers respite care when you need time for you: to tend to personal concerns, run errands or just take a break. Your loved one will enjoy nutritious meals, group activities and supervision in a friendly environment with professional, specially trained staff.
Nearly 30 percent of all U.S. adults ¾ more than 65 million people ¾ are caregivers, and the average caregiving experience lasts 4.6 years.
Source: the National Alliance for Caregiving’s report “Caregiving in the U.S.” (2009)
Is respite care right for my family?
Respite care may be right if your loved one:
- Needs a safe, social environment
- Requires only general supervision and reminding
You do not need to be enrolled in our Adult Day Services program to use respite care.
Respite care is not available for individuals who:
- Require physical assistance, medical oversight or medical management
- Have behavioral issues that require ongoing supervision
- Need physical assistance with personal needs
- Do not have transportation to the center
How often should I use respite care?
Caregiver stress can build up over time and be difficult to manage. Rather than waiting until you “just can’t take it anymore,” consider using respite care service regularly. This can help minimize the physical and mental health effects of stress for you, your loved one and your family.
Can respite care help me?
Due to stress, long-term caregivers have an increased risk of major health concerns such as heart disease, cancer, obesity, symptoms of depression and mental decline. Not surprisingly, caregivers also may be less likely to exercise, eat nutritious meals, get adequate sleep and keep up with recommended preventive care.
How much does respite care cost?
Our respite care rate is competitive. Please call (410) 392-0539 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
How can I schedule respite care?
Call (410) 392-0539 or email email@example.com the day before you need respite care to make sure space will be available for your loved one.
The Adult Day Services program at Union Hospital is accredited by:
- The Joint Commission (Joint Commission accreditation is recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain healthcare performance standards.)
- The Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.