The Surgical Specialty Unit at Union Hospital is a beautiful 13 bed unit. All patient rooms are private. The unit is designed to provide 24-hour care for surgical patients, primarily adults age 18 and older, in the following categories: Joint Camp; surgical; and overflow of medical, general and geriatrics. Computer documentation is used along with electronic scanning of all medications.
Attractive aspects of working here:
- All new employees are welcomed to a department of strong quality, hard working and compassionate co-workers
- Orientation that is not based on a timeframe but rather is individualized to each new employee
- Pairing with primary and secondary preceptors who complement your personality and provide a teaching style that you learn best from
- Meetings with preceptors and Unit Manager every two weeks to discuss your progress or needs
- Self-scheduling done through a new electronic system
- Holiday packages are provided along with weekend rotations
- Strong Charge Nurses without assignments to assist you
- Ancillary support staff is also available for support
Pride is evident in the day-to-day practice of nursing with a strong direction to provide an excellent patient experience. Nursing leadership is strong, fair and supportive; promotes professional growth and development; and believes in accountability. Involvement is encouraged in unit committees and councils. Nurses are recognized for their hard work and a job done well.